Regardless to my personal goal of reading 50 books for the whole year, I have decided to do an International Literature Reading Challenge for this year, with the goal of reading 25 international books.
At least 25 books by International authors.
At least 10 differemt countries should be represented on the list.
You can have several books from the same author or the same country, but you should at least have 10 different countries, and in the end 25 international books.
Here is my list:
1) Delicacy (orig.: “La Délicatesse”- David Foenkinos (France)
2) Hunting and Gathering (orig.: “Ensemble c’est tout”) – Anna Gavalda (France)
3) Eleven Minutes (orig.: “Onze Minutos”) – Paulo Coelho (Brazil)
4) Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall – Kazuo Ishiguro (Japan)
5) Never Let me Go – Kazuo Ishiguro (Japan)
6) Sputnik Sweetheart (orig.:スプートニクの恋人 -Supūtoniku no koibito) -Haruki Murakami (Japan)
7) 1Q84 (orig.: “1Q84 – ichi kew hachi yon”) -Haruki Murakami (Japan)
8) The Wind-up Bird Chronicle (orig.: ねじまき鳥クロニクル) – Haruki Murakami (Japan)
9) Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (orig.: 世界の終りとハードボイルド・ワンダーランド -Sekai no owari to hādoboirudo wandārando) – Haruki Murakami (Japan)
10) Kitchen (orig.: キッチン Kicchin) – Banana Yoshimoto (Japan)
11) Goodbye Tsugumi (orig.:つぐみ) – Banana Yoshimoto (Japan)
12) The Jungle Books – Rudyard Kipling (India)
13) The Enchantress of Florence – Salman Rushdie (India)
14) Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie (India)
15) The Shadow of the Wind (orig.: “La sombre del viente”) – Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Spain)
16) The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum (orig.: “Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum”) – Heinrich Böll (Germany)
17) Galileo (orig.: “Das Leben des Galilei”) – Bertolt Brecht (Germany)
18) The Idiot (orig.: “Идиот”) – Fyodor Dostoevsky (Russia)
19) Crime and Punishment (orig.: “Преступление и наказание”) – Fyodor Dostoevsky (Russia)
20) Lord Jim – Joseph Conrad (Poland/Ukraine)
21) Anna Karenina (orig.: “Анна Каренина”) – Leo Tolstoi (Russia)
22) The Unbearable Lightness of Being (orig.: “Nesnesitelná lehkost bytí”) – Milan Kundera (Czech Republic)
23) The Black Book (orig.: “Kara Kitap”) – Orhan Pamuk (Turkey)
24) Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth – Xiaolu Guo (China)
25) Shanghai Baby – Weihui Zhou (China)
Alright this is my list. I am quite happy. I have 11 countries and , many writers I wanted to read books from, like Orhan Pamuk, Milan Kundera or Salman Rushdie. I have already read 1 book from that list and I am at the moment at the second book from that list and 4th book of this year. I am excited to see how far I will get.
If you are interested in this challenge, just join. You can leave a comment so that I can look at your list.
Thanks for reading!